Sunday, September 19, 2010

Friendship Home, Lincoln, NE


My little brain has been in overdrive the past couple of weeks as I've taken on a volunteer situation at work involving a silent auction.

Every year, the doctor's at the clinic put on a chili cook-off at one of their acreages, and the different teams within the company try their best to win the trophy for the best chili! It is a lot of fun with horse riding, hay rack rides, fishing, and of course great chili of ALL kinds. Last year our team took the trophy home, no thanks to me. I am 'kitchen' challenged, but that comes from years of being spoiled by a husband who loves to be the chef.

So this year, the community council within the company decided to kick up the fun a little and have a silent auction for a local shelter for abused women called Friendship Home. A very worthy cause and one we have not donated to for a few years.

So with an auction coming up, me being the somewhat overachiever that I am, decided to get local businesses involved by donating to the auction. It has been a LOT of work and I'm still not even half way through my list, but there are still some wonderful business people out there who know the need and have donated some wonderful items.

I have been invited to a Mary Kay meeting tomorrow night to give a short talk about the auction and hopefully step out with a lovely basket of donated Mary Kay products. And of course, I'm going to stay and have a make-over! Why not? :) But I am getting to know Amy, the senior sales director, a little and she was generous enough to call me at work and ask if I wanted to give this little plug for Friendship Home to her sales staff.

God always seems to have a plan, if we just sit back and listen. The many years of having our own business had led me to some very generous and KIND people. Our community is one I am very proud to say is MY community.

Thank you, Lincoln, Nebraska, for still being a concerned and giving community.

No comments: