Monday, January 14, 2008

John 15:1

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful” (John 15:1 NIV).



It was one of those mornings when you wake up and not know exactly which day of the week it really is. Took me a good minute to figure out it wasn't Saturday today since I was at the office both days this weekend. It frustrated me that I had to actually work and not be at home doing more productive things those days. Yep, productive in my own eyes, that's the kicker. When reading this verse this morning, which I hope you read too, it made me think...... and I'm still thinking on it.

It's sometimes a good thing to see that setbacks, delays, frustrations, brick walls, etc. may have been placed there for a reason: for us to step back, or re-evaluate, or take a different direction, or to learn, or commit to improving, or to make changes........ All in all, it's a great lesson in seeing there are things to let go of, because they only get in the way of the great stuff that should be going on and that God wants going on!

This is just a little cathartic writing this morning. In the past few months and years I've seen myself turn into someone who has left all the dead branches on and letting them stifle who I think I was meant to be. The glass used to be half full and I've let my view switch to seeing it half empty. (there is more but won't bore you with it all) The point of all this is, my heart has turned bitter and angry. It's time to start doing some whittling. Notice I said start? All this took a long time making it's home here and it will take time and effort getting it under control.

I hadn't read this verse in ages, it was obviously the one I needed to see on this Monday morning.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Trimming branches here and there is a good thing, it just takes some self observation to figure out those that need to be trimmed and those that need to be 'pruned' to allow more growth.

You're on the first track, realization that trimming and pruning is necessary!

At least when you look at that glass of water you are saying 'it's half full' or 'it's half empty' and NOT looking at it saying 'who's trying to poison me?' [wink]...got that one from my DH.

Growing and learning is always good!!